Various Resources Available to Anne Arundel County Residents

March 26, 2014

 Joblessness, homelessness, hunger, addiction, and abuse are all problems the many people are facing in the world today. With so much going wrong, if you find yourself in one (or more) of these situations, it can feel like the end of your world. There is help out there for those facing these situations, and people out there to let you know that you are not alone. Here is a round-up of some of those resources.

One resource that you can use if you face any of the mentioned situations is the Department of Social Services. Located at 80 West Street in Annapolis or at 7500 Ritchie Highway in Glen Burnie, you can apply for many services including temporary cash assistance, food stamps, medical assistance, and also has departments that deal with child abuse, foster children, and adult abuse. You can find more on the Department of Social Services by visiting their website here.

Homelessness is an issue here in Anne Arundel County. If you find yourself to be in a situation where you are homeless, there are resources for you. The first one is Sarah’s House/Catholic Charities in Fort Meade. For this one, you must be referred by the the Anne Arundel County Department of Social Services Emergency Services in either Annapolis or Glen Burnie (Monday-Friday 8:00 am- 3:00 pm). There is also The Lighthouse Inc, located at 10 Hudson Street in Annapolis. The shelter hotline for The Lighthouse is 443-569-4221 and the general information phone number is 410-263-1835. In the Glen Burnie area, there is the Arundel House of Hope/Winter Relief/ Day and Resource Center located on Crain Highway. Winter Relief is open from October-April, and the Day and Resource Center is open Monday-Saturday. You can call them at 410-863-4888. If you are in a domestic abuse situation, there is a shelter for you as well. The location of the YWCA/Arden House is in an undisclosed location for the protection of the clients served. The phone number for services through the Arden House is 410-222-6800.

Anne Arundel County will be having a Homeless Resource Day on March 29, 2014 at Annapolis High School from 8:30 am until 4:00 pm. This will be a one day event that is an opportunity for individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness to access a variety of resources including but not limited to medical care, substance abuse resources, and other social services which can lead to housing and self-sufficiency. Help is still needed for this day, and you can find out what you can do to help out by checking out the website here.

The Anne Arundel County Police Department is now training to use Narcan for overdose patients and the use of heroine in the county is on the rise. If you or someone you know is facing an addiction, there is a resource for you as well. The Community Treatment Services at the Behavioral Health Bureu is located at the Anne Arundel County Department of Health in the Behavioral Health Building at 122 North Langley Road, Suite B in Glen Burnie. You can call them at 410-222-0120. The Substance Abuse Treatment Referral Line provides information on substance abuse treatment resources. Their phone number is 410-222-0117 and is operational on Monday-Friday from 8:30 am-5:00 pm. The assessment and referral program will provide substance abuse assessments, help arrange funding to pay for substance abuse treatment for persons qualified for the Opportunity for Treatment Fund, and will make referrals to providers and help coordinate admission. The Opportunity for Treatment Fund is a financial assistance grant available to Anne Arundel County residents who need help paying for treatment and who also meet guidelines. You can find out more information about Community Treatment Services by visiting their website here.

County Police have set up a confidential activity tip line for residents wishing to have their concerns addressed. Concerned citizens can call 1-800-752-DRUG (3784). There is also somewhere for children to connect with their school’s resource officer to report concerns. Concerned students can go to (best if accessed from a mobile device).

If your child is being abused, there are resources for your child too. The Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland is a good resource for children who have suffered sexual, physical abuse and/or emotional abuse- offering counseling, crisis intervention, case management, group or family counseling, play/art therapy, legal advocacy, court accompaniment, and community outreach. Family and Children’s Services also has programs for domestic abuse victims as well. Another good resource for abused children is BACA, otherwise known as Bikers Against Child Abuse. The Southern MD Chapter of BACA serves Anne Arundel County. You can read about what they have done for one Anne Arundel child here, and find their contact information here.

If you are facing an emergency situation and cannot wait for any of the above mentioned resources, you can check out the PDF of resources available in Anne Arundel County here. This PDF has a listing of the food banks in the area as well as other resources available to citizens.


News Stories